Where the Recipe Came From
Several years ago, I was a student at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California. I was learning to speak Russian in a year-long, five day a week, eight hour a day, immersion class. My instructors were native Russian speakers. Valya, my main instructor, also became a close friend. We would often meet outside of class to work on speaking. She was so devoted to our learning. In groups of two or three she would work with us as long as we were willing! At one of our study outings she brought these wonderful, PINK, cookies. She gladly gave me the recipe. She explained that a babushka had given her the recipe when she was a young woman growing up in Russia.
I have only shared this recipe with one other person, my sister. We have made these cookies over and over and we have kept everyone trying to guess the ingredients. I have decided its time to share with others and bring a little more pink happiness into the world!
1 Box Strawberry Cake Mix
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Water
1 Package Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix cake mix, egg, and water. Batter will be quite thick. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-13 minutes until bottoms barely start to brown.
4. Let them cool for 3 to 4 minutes before removing them from cookie sheet. Place on cooling rack or waxed paper to finish cooling.
Makes approximately 30 cookies.
Other Yummy Variations
Since having such success with the strawberry chocolate chip cookies, I have tried many other combinations.
- Strawberry Cake Mix with White Chocolate Chips
- White Cake Mix with Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Cake Mix with Peanut Butter Chips
- Chocolate Cake Mix with Butterscotch Chips
- Confetti Cake Mix with Mini M&Ms
- Spice Cake Mix with Dried Apples
You can also mix in nuts! The ideas are endless.